- 30 min prep
- 4 hour cook
- 8 - 12 servings
- 2 ⅔ cups (435g) of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (220g) of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) of soy milk*
- ½ cup (125ml) of light vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons of Dracula Citrus™ Cara Cara orange rind
- Juice of one Dracula Citrus™ Cara Cara orange
*You can substitute the soy milk for rice milk or oat milk and this will not alter the flavour.
The Cara Cara Curd:
- 1 cup (250ml) of freshly squeezed Cara Cara orange juice
- 3 tablespoons of cornflour
- 1/2 cup (125g) of caster sugar
- ¼ cup of unsweetened soy, rice or oat milk
- 50g/1¾oz of margarine or vegan butter
The Roasted Cara Cara Oranges
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (or brown sugar).
Optional – Vegan Butter Cream
- 3 ½ cups Icing Sugar (420g)
- 1 cup Nuttelex or Vegan Butter (225g)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste
These directions are for a two tiered cake. For a three tiered cake as shown, double the recipe mixture.
Part 1: The Sponge:
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160°C /320°F.
- Line two 20cm/8-inch cake pans with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Then add the sugar, baking soda & salt and mix well.
- Add the milk, oil, vanilla bean paste and Cara Cara orange rind and once combined, mix in apple cider vinegar.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If there’s still moist batter stuck on the toothpick, leave it in for a few more minutes and try again.
- Allow the cakes to cool on a wire cooling rack. This helps the air circulate underneath, so the bottom of the cake doesn’t get soggy.
- While that’s happening, make a start on the Cara Cara orange curd!
Part 2: The Cara Cara Curd:
- Whisk Cara Cara juice and cornflour together in a bowl, until the mixture is completely smooth and free of lumps. Set aside.
- Place the milk and sugar into a small saucepan on medium heat until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Once dissolved, pour in the Cara Cara juice and cornflour mix and continue heating while stirring continuously until the curd thickens.
- Take the saucepan off the heat, add in the margarine and stir until it is completely dissolved and the mixture becomes smooth and silky.
- Place the curd in your refrigerator for 2-3 hours or until fully cooled.
- While it’s cooling, it’s time to get started on the roasted Cara Cara oranges!
Pro Tip: If your curd is too warm, it will be quite runny and difficult to work with. To ensure you get the best visual impact, resist the temptation to work with it before it’s fully cooled. Cooling to room temperature should be sufficient if you prefer the curd a little bit runnier.
Part 3: The Roasted Cara Cara Oranges:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Peel the oranges and slice them into approximately 5mm/¼ inch thick disks.
- Lay the slices on the lined baking sheet, making sure to remove any pips.
- Drizzle the orange slices liberally with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar evenly over each piece of orange.
- Roast in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until they are caramelised around the edges.
Pro tip: Coconut sugar is less processed and has a lower glycemic index than can cane sugar. Many people find that the sweetness of coconut sugar is a little less intense, which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on your preferences. If you prefer to use cane sugar, it will work just fine. However, be sure to use brown, as this will give the roasted oranges a truly spectacular, deep and rich colour that really brings the whole dish together.
Part 4: Vegan Butter Cream
Add the icing sugar, vegan butter and vanilla to your mixing bowl.
Using a stand mixer or beater, start beating at slow speed and gradually increase the speed until thick and smooth. Your butter cream should stand tall on a spoon without sinking at room temperature but be soft to eat.
To get the right consistency, add more icing sugar to thicken or add a touch of dairy-free milk a drop at a time to soften mixture.
Part 5: Put It All Together:
- Once the cakes and curd are completely cool, place 1 cake on your cake stand or serving plate.
- Layer the top of the first cake with half of the orange curd and butter cream.
- Place the second cake gently on top of the orange curd layer, taking care to align the edges as closely as possible.
- Decorate the top the second cake with the remaining orange curd and butter cream.
Pro Tip: If the curd is cooler, you may want to use a spatula to spread it evenly. Alternatively, if you’re using room temperature curd, you might find that it flows more easily and you can achieve an attractive cascade effect on the sides of the cake.Decorate with roasted Cara Cara oranges.
- Arrange the roasted orange slices on the top of the curd or butter cream in whatever pattern you prefer. This is your chance to get a bit creative and add your personal touch. If you’re stuck for ideas, here are a few suggestions:
- Start at the outside and arrange them in a swirl pattern finishing in the centre of the cake. If you have enough slices, you can overlap them slightly for a lovely effect.
- Cut the slices in half and arrange them in concentric circles across the width of the cake.
- Fold some of the slices in half and arrange them in alternating rows.
- Allow the components to set for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. This may help to keep the layers together.
See more of our tasty citrus recipes
Dracula Citrus Cara Cara Orange Curd
This decadent Cara Cara curd is so versatile and delicious that we figured it deserved a recipe all of its own, along with some creative ideas on how to use it.
Quench your thirst with our simply sweet home-made lemonade. Perfect over crushed ice on a hot Summer day.
Blood orange baddies
A blood orange spin on the ‘chocy mandarin madness’. If you like a little more bite with your chocolate, these are for you.
A Citrus-Scented Christmas: Eco-Friendly and Aromatic Decorations for the Festive Season
Dracula Citrus™ is changing the narrative by introducing eco-friendly dried citrus decorations that are both beautiful and beneficial.
Unlocking the Benefits of Lemons
Unlock the benefits of Dracula Citrus™ lemons from culinary magic to health perks to versatile remedies for feeling great inside and out.
How to Get Festive with Citrus this Halloween | Dracula Citrus
Get into the Halloween spirit with citrus-inspired fun! Discover unique ideas for citrus jack-o’-lanterns, healthy snacks, and DIY citrus candles. Make your Halloween zesty with Dracula Citrus™!
Partner with Dracula Citrus today
Dracula’s plans for world domination are proceeding according to plan. Numerous retail outlets and their customers around the world adore the fun, convenience and Aussie sun-ripened flavor of Dracula Citrus.
Complete the form below to learn more about what’s happening in the world of Dracula Citrus!